- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup sugarcane vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup muscovado sugar
- 1 peach, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Coarsely chopped toasted peanuts for garnish
- Thinly sliced scallions for garnish
1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and bay leaves. Sauté until the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the flour and mace; cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the chicken stock.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and continue simmering for 20 minutes.
3. Add the peanut butter and half and half. Cook for 2 more minutes, then remove from the heat and discard the bay leaves. Refrigerate until chilled. Season with salt to taste. Keep chilled until serving.
4. Combine the vinegar and sugar in a medium saucepan. Reduce over low heat until syrupy, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
5. Toss the peach slices in the canola oil. Grill in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until lightly caramelized on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
6. To serve, divide the soup among serving bowls. Garnish with grilled peach slices, toasted peanuts, and scallions. Finish with a drizzle of vinegar reduction.